BARBERTON FIRE DEPARTMENT
Barberton, located on the western side of Akron, purchased a Hackney rescue mounted on a Freightliner M2, four-door cab . The chassis features a Cummins 330 hp engine; Allison 3000EVS automatic transmission; 12,000# front axle; 23,000# rear axle; and 275-amp alternator. The three rear seats are SCBA.
The 18-ft body includes nine (9) compartments. Barberton chose the Hackney drop/pinch frame to maximize storage capacity and simplifying equipment storage and retrieval. The four forward compartments are 40” deep from floor to top of door opening. The rear frame is also dropped allowing installation of a 76” high compartment over the bumper for placement of all hydraulic rescue tools and reels. The body is raised behind the rear wheels to maximize the angle-of-departure for the steep off-road grades.
The department upgraded the electrical system to full V-MUX multiplexing to allow remote field diagnostics and display graphically and textually compartment open and light tower deployed warnings. The LCD screen will also display, on a separate screen, all vehicle data including oil capacity and types of filters.
Located in the wheelhouse compartment is a 13 cfm Bauer breathing air compressor with a 2-bottle fill station in the right rear compartment. It is powered by a 10-hp 3-phase electric motor operating from the 40-kw PTO generator.
- Vehicle data recorder
- Grover air horns on left and right sides of hood
- Spare SCBA bottle storage tubes - eight (8)
- Safety interlock to prevent the vehicle from being moved when the light tower is extended
- LED tail lights and marker lights
- Auxiliary upper stop lights with Jake Brake activation
- LED traffic advisor light bar
- Upper side body 12vdc halogen scene lights (2 each side) - manual, reverse and turn signal activated
- Upper rear body 12vdc halogen scene lights (2) - manual and reverse activated
- LED compartment strip lights recessed in side walls
- Ground lights front, sides and rear - activated by doors, reverse and turn signals
- Whelen NFPA LED warning lights
- Whelen electronic siren and speaker
- Color back up camera with night vision
- 40kw, 3-phase PTO Onan generator mounted in left front compartment
- Cord reels, two (2) electric rewind with 200-ft 10/4 cable and 240VAC power distribution box split into two separate 120VAC circuits with four outlets
- Tripod flood lights on left rear body (2)
- Will-Burt light tower between cab and body
- Pre-wiring, brackets and slide-out hose roller guides for BFD installed hydraulic hose reels in rear compartment